Watsons Bay

Array ( [0] => Array ( [photo_id] => 48 [suburb_id] => 34 [photo_title] => WatsonsBay-15102014-171450.jpg [description] => [path] => http://www.ljlevi.com.au/wp-content/uploads/LocationInfoPlugin/WatsonsBay-15102014-171450.jpg [ord] => 0 [thumbnail] => http://www.ljlevi.com.au/wp-content/uploads/LocationInfoPlugin/WatsonsBay-15102014-171450_thumb.jpg ) )
  • Suburb:Watsons Bay
  • Postcode:2030
  • Local Council:
Watsons Bay is a harbourside, eastern suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Watsons Bay is located 11 km north-east of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the Municipality of Woollahra.
Watsons Bay sits on the end of the South Head peninsula and takes its name from the sheltered bay and anchorageon its western side, in Port Jackson (Sydney Harbour). It provides views across the harbour to the Sydney Harbour Bridge. The Gap is an ocean cliff on the eastern side with views to Manly at North Head and the Pacific Ocean.Vaucluse is the only adjacent suburb, to the south.

The original inhabitants of the area that is now known as Watsons Bay, were the Cadigal people. The Cadigal referred to the area as Kutti. This indigenous group of people fished and collected shellfish in the waters and bays off South Head. They acquired their resources from Camp Cove and carved rock engravings there, which have since eroded from the cliff faces and rock surfaces that line the coastline.
Watsons Bay was named after Robert Watson (1756–1819), formerly of HMS Sirius, when he had to beach his three vessels at Camp Cove for many years because of their being potentially sold by the Provost Marshal. Watson was appointed harbour pilot and harbourmaster of the port of Sydney in 1811 and the first superintendent of Macquarie Lighthouse in 1816.

On the night of 20 August 1857, Dunbar a sailing ship became shipwrecked against the cliffs below The Gap, with 121 lives lost. The Dunbar had mistaken the bay of The Gap for the harbour entrance. In 1910, at Jacob’s Ladder, the anchor from the ship was recovered along with other relics and were placed in a museum behind the old Town Hall in Military Road by Vaucluse Council. The anchor was transferred to the cliffs of Gap Park by Ald. Coombes and a memorial was unveiled in August 1930.
Watsons Bay is a mostly residential area with some recreational areas and beaches, including Camp Cove and a legal nude beach located at Lady Bay. Some restaurants, cafes and a hotel are located here. The coastal walk with ocean views of the Gap along South Head make Watsons Bay a popular tourist attraction in Sydney. The Sydney Harbour Pilot Boat Station was located on the bay, and the naval training base HMAS Watson is located nearby at South Head.

Sold Properties: Watsons Bay

Address Suburb Sold Date Bed Bath Car
6/3 Military Rd WATSONS BAY 19-07-2010 2 2 0 View Property

Leased Properties: Watsons Bay

Address Suburb Leased Date Bed Bath Car
6/3 Military Road WATSONS BAY 2 2 0 View Property
4/180 Hopetoun Avenue WATSONS BAY 2 1 2 View Property
3/290 Old South Head Road WATSONS BAY 2 1 1 View Property
3/290 Old South Head Rd WATSONS BAY 2 1 1 View Property
2/290 Old South Head Rd WATSONS BAY 1 1 0 View Property