Array ( [0] => Array ( [photo_id] => 29 [suburb_id] => 15 [photo_title] => Clovelly-15102014-171424.jpg [description] => [path] => [ord] => 0 [thumbnail] => ) )
  • Suburb:Clovelly
  • Postcode:2031
  • Local Council:
Originally known as Little Coogee, the name was changed to Clovelly in 1913. When the search for a new name began, the English seaside town Eastbourne, was suggested. The president of the local progress association, Mr F H Howe, suggested Clovelly, the name of a local estate owned by Sir John Robertson, which was named for the village of Clovelly on the north Devon coast, England.

William C. Greville bought 20 acres (81,000 m2), which included the whole bay frontage, for 40 pounds in 1834. The area was dominated during the nineteenth century by the grand estate of Mundarrah Towers. Mundarrah Towers was built for Dr Dickson in the 1860s. Samuel Bennett, who owned Australian Town and Country Journal, one of the most influential newspapers of the day, bought the property and made further grand additions. The Towers was demolished in 1926, to make way for suburban development. The Mundarrah Towers estate occupied the land around Burnie Street overlooking the western end of Clovelly Bay. Mundarrah Street honours this once grand part of Clovelly’s heritage. Between Coogee and Clovelly, on the shores of Gordon’s Bay, stood Cliffbrook, the home built for John Thompson. By the early twentieth century the first governor of the Commonwealth Bank owned this grand mansion that was demolished in 1976.

A public infants school was operating in Little Coogee as early as 1897, in the Mission Hall of the Church of England in Varna Street. Eliza McDonnell was the teacher with an average attendance of 76 pupils. Clovelly Public School officially dates from 1913. The Department of Education provided permanent accommodation for a public school in Arden Street, Clovelly.

Major subdivisions for domestic housing commenced in earnest in Clovelly in 1909. The local progress association argued that there were 717 houses constructed within metres of the proposed tram route that had not yet been completed. Due to these lobbying efforts, the tram-line to Clovelly was completed between 1912-1913. This allowed Clovelly to continue developing throughout the 1920s. During the Great Depression Randwick Council instituted a scheme to keep unemployed men employed by building concrete foreshores for Clovelly in an attempt to make access to the bay’s foreshores easier for bathers. The Council envisage an Olympic size swimming pool in the bay, a facility that would also keep local men employed in the worst financial times. It was also planned to build a causeway/scenic road across the entrance to the Bay but wild storms in 1938 dashed hopes of this. The remains of the causeway are still visible at low tide, forming a protective reef. The plans were controversial; the merits of this work are still debated today.

In 1907, a surf lifesaving brigade was formed at Clovelly, inaugurating the surf lifesaving tradition in this suburb that has seen numerous heroic rescues, perhaps most notably "the rescue off Schnapper" or "the big rescue" of Sunday 4 December 1927. Surf Life Saving has been a predominate part of the culture and heritage of this scenic coastal suburb. Competitive swimming is also a dominate part of life in this idyllic coastal location.

Today the suburb is affectionately referred to as "Cloey" by many residents and locals

Sold Properties: Clovelly

Address Suburb Sold Date Bed Bath Car
4/6 Marcel Avenue CLOVELLY 24-06-2014 2 1 1 View Property
50 Shackel Avenue CLOVELLY 14-04-2014 3 2 2 View Property
2 Allan Avenue CLOVELLY 14-10-2013 3 1 1 View Property
2/39 Moira Crescent CLOVELLY 2-09-2013 2 1 1 View Property
27 Keith St CLOVELLY 2-10-2008 4 2 1 View Property

Leased Properties: Clovelly

Address Suburb Leased Date Bed Bath Car
2/56 Fern Street CLOVELLY 2-05-2016 2 1 1 View Property
2 Allan Avenue CLOVELLY 3 1 2 View Property
1/138 Clovelly Road CLOVELLY 2 1 1 View Property
1/138 Clovelly Road CLOVELLY 2 1 1 View Property